Thursday 22 October 2009

Week 5c - My Thoughts



So what did I think of this assignment overall? For my first time handling "organic" 3D modelling, it wasn't too bad, but it certainly wasn't easy. After the simpler techniques I learnt last year, something as complex as a somewhat realistic version of my own head was quite a huge leap to take, especially considering the fact that I had only five weeks to complete it (technically, you could say it was actually only four weeks, since we only found out about the assignment at the end of the first week back).

I'm quite pleased with the result, but as I mentioned in my previous blog entry, it's not perfect, and if I had just a little bit more time to finish it off, the end result would definetely have been of better quality. Of all the various parts of the head that were modelled, I'd say that the ears were definetely the most difficult part. They look OK anyway, but because I did so many different things ti the inside of the ear, it is in actuality a bit of a mess. As far as tutorials go, I was only able to make it as far as applying the material to the 3D model, so I wasn't able to do more to it like applying bump maps, or even give my 3D self some hair.

Speaking of the tutorials, I found them slightly difficult to follow: Mr Maslowski had a habit of skipping ahead on parts that I may have needed help with, although to be fair this allowed me to do my own thing and see if I could do it myself - which wasn't always a good thing. He also skipped the eyelids (and as a result, my 3D model has none) and the eyeballs (which I made myself anyway) and I don't think he showed us the neck creation very clearly, if at all (I still managed to pull if off myself, so it doesn't matter too much).

If I was given another chance to try this again, I think I would turn it down straightaway probably be able to do it with a bit more ease, and could probably do the earlier parts of the modelling process without the tutorial's help.




Here's a 360 dregree view of my 3D head:

No comments:

Post a Comment