Thursday 15 October 2009

Week 4b - Why I didn't visit the Museum

Before I continue typing about the progress of my 3D head, here's something regarding the other project that has to be done: I have a complaint to make about the Museum of Power at Langford. Not so much about the museum itself, but rather the people who run the place.

I probably should have mentioned this in my blog last week, when the following took place: Basically, I had a fairly busy week ahead of me, and while carefully planning my schedule, I decided that I would visit the museum on Wednesday at around midday, take whatever photos I needed, and then make my way to a society meeting at the University afterwards.

Because I live in Billericay, cannot drive yet, have to commute to University, am not within reasonable walking distance from the station (a 45 minute walk with a heavy backpack carrying my laptop is not reasonable), and because public transport around this area is so awkward, slow and unreliable, the first thing I needed to do was to plan out how exactly I would get there, what methods of public transport I would use, and what times I would arrive and leave, in order to coincide with the ridiculous bus and train times... let's just say that the Maldon area (or should I say Essex in general?) is not served very well as far as public transport goes.

After planning Wednesday out, the last thing that needed to be done was to phone the museum the day before and make sure that they would be open - and it's because of this phone call that any plans I make to go there cannot be fulfilled. Basically, they told me that they were not open for Anglia Ruskin students on Wednesday, they did not approve of students walking around the museum and in and out as they please (or something along those lines), so apparently "arranged" for students to go in between 10 and 11am on Thursday instead, a time slot that I would not have been able to get there in time for.

Because they decided to make the situation awkward for me, and because some of my group members already have photos that we'll all be able to look at, I've decided that I'm not going to bother visiting the museum at all. I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to have a decent look at the place with my own eyes, but I'm going to blame the people who run the museum for making it difficult for me to go.

Okay, rant over. I'll get back to covering the development of my 3D head in my next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment