Thursday 15 October 2009

Week 4c - Eyes and the back of the head

After finishing the nostrils and lips earlier this week, the next stage in the tutorial was to start working on the back of the head. I then opened the next tutorial video up, only to notice that the guy's already done his eyeballs... wait, what? You're not going to show me how you made them? That's not fair!

So I had to go out of my way to make them myself, without the help of this tutorial. What I did first of all was create a sphere for one eyeball, and then begin working on a material that would make my eyes look somewhat realistic. I had no idea how I would actually do this, so a bit of tutorial hunting on the Internet led me to this useful guide on how to make a realistic eye texture in Photoshop, which allowed me to make this material:


I made the eye brown in the middle and dark green everywhere else to match my own eye colour. The pattern on the eye does look a bit weird when you first look at it, but once I applied this material to the sphere, it actually looked quite good. Bear in mind that the picture above is zoomed into the middle of a large 1000x1000 pixel sized bitmap, because anything smaller I tried did not cover the whole sphere.

After adjusting the position of the eyeball texture onto the sphere, and reshaping the eyesocket area on my 3D face, it now looks something like this:



This is what the whole thing looks like so far, with Turbosmooth on. It was vital that I undid the process straight after taking this screengrab, so that I can carry on with my work.

The eyes look OK for now, but I think the colour might be a bit too bright (if you look at my photos in earlier entries, you'll notice that my eyes are quite dark in colour). If I'm not happy with it by the time I'm finished with the head, I can always make minor adjustments later on.

Back to the tutorial: I made a sphere and repositioned it as needed, which will form the back of my head. I then had to squash it at the sides in order for it to match the shape of my head. Here's a screengrab showing what it looked like at this stage, with the Reference Plates hidden:



Noticably, there are parts of the sphere's geometry that are not needed, like the bits covering the eyes, the bits coming through to the forehead, behind the face, and the bit behind what will soon become the ears. So the next thing I needed to do was covert the object into an editable poly (according to the tutorial, by use of the Edit Poly modifier, rather than just converting it into an Editable Poly by right clicking), and then use the Paint Selection Region tool to select these unwanted areas, ready to delete:



After deleting the selected areas, it somehow also got rid of the same areas over at the other side of the object, which is very useful and saves a lot of time... but the next stage involved deleting the other side of the sphere anyway.

Next, I needed to match up some of the sphere's vertices with those on my 3D forehead. For the last one or two, I needed to use Soft Selection in order for it to affect the quads behind them:



The only problem I had with using the Soft Selection tool was that not only did it affect the ones behind it like it was supposed to, but it also affected the positioning of the vertices that I had already positioned to match the face.

I then had to start cloning the faces around the back, by selecting the edges and holding down shift, to start matching up with my neck:



Note that the guy who made the tutorial drew more topology lines and quads for this bit, but I personally feel as though I don't have time to be messing around with these for this part, and just wanted to get on with it (after all, I have to draw even more of them for the ear later on). Another important thing that needs to be done for this process is that the snaps toggle must be turned off, otherwise when dragging the faces down, you get something like this:



I'm going to take a break from this for tonight, so perhaps you'll see the finished process in my next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment